wife to Jake, mommy to my 3 crazy munchkins, Lily (7), Jonah (5.5) and Kate (4). Taking this crazy blessed life one day at a time.

7.14.2013

My Village.

Everyone always says "It takes a village to raise a child".

I don't think you truly understand what this means or how true it is until you have children. 

Ever since Lily was born, I have had a really hard time asking for help with my kids. I felt like I should be able to do it on my own (with Jake, of course).  Any time someone would take the kids, I felt really guilty about it.  

I would say that this past year or two, I have really started to embrace my "village", accept the help, and be grateful for it. 

Since we moved into this house, our "village" has grown a lot. 

Neighbors have turned into friends and then turned into family.

This is just a glimpse into our village:

Friends, family and neighbors will occasionally ask to take the kids to their house for a while, just to give me a break and give the kids a change in scenery. 

Sometimes someone will ask to take them to the playground for a while.

Some of our closest neighbors watch the kids for me if I need to take one kid to the doctor. Or on rainy days they will come over and stay with the kids so I don't have to drag them all out in the rain to go pick Lily up from school. 

Sara has been our #1 babysitter for the past 4 years and I don't know what we would have done without her. She is absolutely a part of our family and we love her so much.

Today, Grandpa and Cyndi took the kids all afternoon. And now that they live so much closer, we get to see them much more and it is so nice to have them nearby.

Aunt Mariah is now close to us too!! And she is amazing and wonderful and we all love her dearly. 

Grandma Jan takes the kids one by one for special overnights with her. She also takes 2 or all 3 of the kids if Jake and I need it. She took Jonah and Kate the other week while Jake, Lily and I went to a wedding. She is so wonderful to us. 

Our friends are incredible and I LOVE that we have seen each other almost every week for the past 8 years!  It is so fun seeing our families grow. We went from all being young single college kids to being married and having babies and our group keeps growing! You all mean so much to our family and we are so thankful for you.

There are many  more people that are a part of our village and without each and every one of you, we wouldn't be where we are today. 

I guess what I am saying is that I appreciate my "village" so much and am so thankful to all of you that help look out for my family. I am fairly certain I would lose my mind if it were not for my village. 

I am starting to be more comfortable accepting the help of my village, because it is oh so good for me, but it is also great for my kids too. 

If you have a hard time accepting help from others, I urge you to do it anyway. It really does take a village to raise a child, and that village is also what shapes them into the people they are becoming. 

Thank you, village, for saving my sanity, but also for loving my family so much.


No comments: