wife to Jake, mommy to my 3 crazy munchkins, Lily (7), Jonah (5.5) and Kate (4). Taking this crazy blessed life one day at a time.

10.25.2010

Weakness.

 What is my biggest weakness as a person and a parent?

 Managing my anger and frustration. It is hard. Really really hard. I have always had trouble controlling my anger. When I was a kid, I got in trouble a lot because I would take my anger out on my toys, or slamming doors, or by yelling. Not good. Especially since I now have 3 kids that daily test my patience. I kind of surprised myself when Lily was born. I thought that I was handling things pretty well, for being only 21 and knew, well, not much about babies. Then, when Lily was around 18 months old, that's when it started getting hard. That's when the tantrums, the screaming, the talking back and the attitude started. And that's when I started becoming aware of my weakness. Now, I not only have Lily to deal with, but Jonah and Kate as well. Therefore, I have less patience per child to dish out each day. I will admit that I have acted in ways that I am not proud of, and I think if I saw myself on a video, it would scare the crap out of me. I hate seeing Jake when he gets really frustrated with the kids, so I can imagine that it's pretty horrible when I lose it as well. I have been working so hard on controlling myself, but there are still times when I yell or give out a punishment that was probably a little harsh. That's one reason I started this blog. Not to gain followers, but to vent, to just get it out of my system. I don't want to take it out on the kids- they don't deserve that. But I think I need a few more outlets.

 What are things you do to let out your frustrations?

new Lauren post divider image

10 comments:

ace and friends co. said...

I hear ya... your newest blog hop follower. happy MONDAY. would *love* a follow back. you can find me at:

http://aceandfriendsco.blogspot.com/

Tammy said...

Hi! Following you from Mingle Monday. Cute Blog!

I usually put myself in a time-out when I get frustrated with the no listening, melt-downs, gonna pull my hair out times. I go to our bedroom, shut the door, take a few deep breaths and calm down. Even a quick walk outside & back in helps. Just give yourself a minute to calm down from the heat of the moment... that's usually when my reactions are the worst. Good Luck!

-Tammy
http://dontblink-tammy.blogspot.com/

Stephanie said...

New follower from Mommy Blog Hop.

Love for you to visit me at http://stephanieandadambaby.blogspot.com

Momma Chantal said...

I hear ya! I haven't quite gotten to the attitude stage yet, but I have entered the start of hitting and deliberate disobeying. I just have no idea what to do about it and I get very frustrated. I find myself putting a child wayyy down at the end of the hallway just to make a point. They think it is hilarious which is even more frustrating!

Shanee said...

I'm your newest follower from the Monday Blog Hops! Come check out my blog at: http://adventuresofathriftymommy.blogspot.com/

Have a great day!

Stacy said...

I sooo feel you!!! Mine are 6,5, 2 1/2, and 1 month!! I have a yelling problem, and when I am mad, I tend to take things way to seriously. I am trying so hard to control it. I am getting better, but it's not easy. So far I have found sending my children to another room, and then me also going to another room helps me calm down before confronting my children with there wrong doings. My 2 1/2 year old is picking up my yelling and harsh sarcasm, and that has been a real reality check for me. So good luck to you, I know how hard it is to break long lived anger habits.

Ron Cooper said...

Hi there Lauren,

I’m already following your neat blog from Tuesday Tag-A-Long But I still want to wish you & your family a great autumn! Check out my new Facebook fan page with inspiring quotes.

http://inspiredbyron.blogspot.com/

Crystal said...

OMGosh- me too! I always ALWAYS got in trouble for my anger. I am constantly working on it...I count a lot. I don't want my kids to remember crazy, screaming, gonna-blow mama. So I practice, practice, practice...w/4 dudes I get a lot of practice.

Heather said...

Blogging is therapeutic, but I also keep a somewhat personal online journal as well. I need it, it keeps me sane!

Greta: From Transparencies of Motherhood said...

I love your honesty in this post. I often yell, or raise my voice, out of frustration. My oldest (almost 4) is quick to tell me how I was speaking unkind. Patience is definitely something that I have to remind myself of every day.