wife to Jake, mommy to my 3 crazy munchkins, Lily (7), Jonah (5.5) and Kate (4). Taking this crazy blessed life one day at a time.

9.15.2010

Potty Advice Needed!

Alright blogger friends, I need your advice! I am taking on the potty training challenge. Jonah turned 2 in June. It's time. Lily was already potty trained when she was Jonah's age. It was so easy with her. She had one accident on the carpet and that's it. Since then, only the potty. Jonah's been a different story. I've heard that boys are harder than girls. I tried with him a few months ago, and he just keep going on the carpet. It's like he didn't even know that he was going to the bathroom! Silly guy.

Right now, little man is sitting next to me on his red Ikea potty, watching Dora. Now I don't like to let the kids watch too many shows (we don't really have TV, so the kids only watch shows we have on VHS or DVD) during the day, but this is the only thing that will make him sit in one spot for an extended period of time. If he goes in the potty, he gets an M&M. That's what we did with Lily and it seemed to work great. I feel like once he actually goes in the potty, he will finally know what it feels like, and want to do it again. We just have to get that one pee into the potty!

It's harder than with Lily because now, I just don't have time to sit with him on the potty all day. We have places to go, errands to run, sisters to pick up from school and so on. Not to mention baby sister... poor third child, not enough time in the day to give each child enough attention.

So, all you blogging mommies out there, what's your advice for potty training boys? Did you do the pull-up route, or the naked week route, or something in between? I would love to hear what everyone's stories are!

new Lauren post divider image

8 comments:

Amber said...

Let me know when you have the answer! My daughter's pediatrician told me last week to not worry about it *really* until she is 3..."it's a milestone for her, not for mom and dad". So my lazy self is rolling with the hope that she will let me know when she is ready. GOOD LUCK and be sure to share your secrets! :)

Mommy Kerin said...

I would give advice but Jacob is 3 and just now going. Like Amber said, my ped also told me not to really worry about it. He told me that they will pick it up when they are ready and that no child have ever gone to school with a diaper on (although I somehow doubted that lol).

Thanks for stopping by today and leaving a comment. It made me smile! Life is definitely never boring with children and I know you really do feel my pain since we both have THREE!

Heather said...

I wish I had an answer! Noah is 3 1/2 and we still don't have it down to a science. *Cries*

Truthful Mommy said...

Thanks for stopping by. I am your newest follower! Sorry, I can't offer any advice for potty training a boy, I only have girls. I do know that my second was potty trained shortly after she turned 1 because she wanted to be just like her sister ( worked for me:) She would just run towards the potty tearing her diaper off. One thing I did do with my girls, once they semi knew what they were doing..I told then they were done with diapers and that it was time to send the diapers to the diaper fairy. We packed them up in a fed ex box and I "mailed them" in return they got a package from the "fairy: with some small toy/trinket in it.And a note saying "Great job" from the Diaper fairy. It also works for binkies and bottles:)LOL Good luck!
http://motherhoodthetruth.blogspot.com/

Heather said...

You know, I really need to suck it up and tell my son the pull ups are all gone. I know a lot of kids don't really "get it" until that point. We just still have a lot of bowel issues with him, and I'm nervous about pushing too much (no pun intended, LOL).

Heather said...

I wanted to let you know I've given you a blog award!
http://www.familyfriendlyfrugality.com/2010/09/i-have-one-lovely-blog-someone-even.html

Rachel said...

I have just started "full force" (no diapers at home, only to sleep) with my 2yr old little girl. I would recommend the book "diaper free before 3" it is very insightful and I wish I had read it before now. We only wear pullups when we go out. I also got the rubber pants to put over her panties for accidents.

Miller Moments said...

Hi! Popping over from the Boost My Blog Friday. My son is almost 3 and we are just now trying. My oldest really didn't get it down until about 3 1/2. I think boys take longer than girls. My doctor said not to even try until 3 and after my first experience-I agree! I started my oldest boy when he was 2 and it was a year of struggles. He just wasn't interested. Then at 3 it clicked. Hope your little guy makes it easy on you!

And hope you'll find a minute and pop by my blog too. :)