wife to Jake, mommy to my 3 crazy munchkins, Lily (7), Jonah (5.5) and Kate (4). Taking this crazy blessed life one day at a time.

9.08.2010

The Bedtime Disaster

Well, if you read my previous post, you know that we have been struggling with Jonah and bedtime (well, nap time too) and staying in bed. Now, it is fine if the kids talk in bed, but I don't want them out of bed, playing and running around. Not when all three are in there now.

Last night, when we put them to bed we told them they needed to stay in their beds. We felt pretty confident that the night would go better. I turned down the monitor so that I couldn't hear them talking. I feel like they need to learn to put themselves to sleep. I am tired of going in there every time someone starts making noise or crying. So I turned it down. BIG MISTAKE. We saw the lights moving on the monitor, so we knew that they were making noise. We did go in once or twice to try to settle them down. I think Jonah was out of bed causing some sort of trouble. Later, we saw the lights raging again. We left them alone this time, assuming it was just talking. Finally, Jake went in. I followed.

 Their room was trashed. Lights on, clothes everywhere, baby powder (I don't even know where they found that one) scattered all over the carpet, walls, dressers and the rocking chair. I found the bottle today- completely empty. At least powder is easy to clean up (not like that time Jonah decided to play in his poopy diaper...). We were annoyed, especially since we had friends over. After getting children back into their own beds and changing poor Kate who was still awake, thanks to big bro and sis, they went to bed, over 1 1/2 hours after we put them to bed.


These pictures don't  do it justice- it was much worse (add more clothes and all the powder that you can't see) Plus, daddy moved a bunch out of the way to make a path to the crib to we could safely tend to Kate during the night.
I think one of the things I was most annoyed at was that I spent about an hour on Monday going through and organizing all 3 of the kids' dressers. I hate wasted time. I had to spend another good chunk of time redoing everything I had already done :(

Moral of the story: DON'T turn the monitor down!! Lesson Learned. Tonight it will be on, that's for sure.

2 comments:

Momma Chantal said...

Awe man! How icky! My kids have learned in the past couple days how to get the dresser drawers open. They empty the bottom drawer every.single.day! Twice a day actually. I just have them clean it up after every single nap and every morning. They also empty the book basket and the blanket basket every time they wake up too. The nursery is an explosion like that twice a day. I have prayed for peace and the Lord allows me to just go in there, and actively engage them in cleaning it up, and we move on. I have resisted the fight. It is hard, but I can't deal with it. I value my sanity, and the Lord has taught me which battles to fight and which to let go. Haha.

I think you are doing a great job though! I can't imaging having 3 kids that close in age! You are also super lucky to have such a great group of friends to support you! You are a very blessed woman!! I smile every time I see your blog posts and facebook statuses because you have so much love around you. :)

JessicasCoupons said...

You have a beautiful family....and your hands full. I just have 3 and barely hang on for dear life. :)

Thanks for the follow. I am now following you as well.

Have a great day!
Jessica
www.jessicascoupons.com