wife to Jake, mommy to my 3 crazy munchkins, Lily (7), Jonah (5.5) and Kate (4). Taking this crazy blessed life one day at a time.

10.24.2011

Some Answers

Well, again this has been one crazy week.

Last Monday, Kate started one of her weird vomiting phases, that she has had a few times before. Basically, she wakes up, throws up (before eating anything), has a bad headache and a few other symptoms, and then is fine for the rest of the day. This goes on for 4 mornings in a row.

For some reason, the other times this happened, I thought it was strange, but just kind of thought it was a weird virus or something. Well, when it happened this time, I mentioned it to a few people, and they really suggested getting her seen by a doctor. So, I took her in on Wednesday. They were pretty concerned and said that we should really see a neurologist at Children's Hospital in Boston.

So, I tried to make an appointment, but they wouldn't be able to see Kate for a few months. I called our primary care doctor back, just to check with them to see if it was okay for Kate to wait that long. They said that she needs to get in, so they were going to call urgent care and get her an appointment. Later that day I got a call from Children's saying that they could see Kate on Monday. Whoa! That was fast!

Well, basically from Wednesday to Monday, my mind had a lot of time to run wild with things that could be wrong with Kate. I was pretty nervous about what they would say, or find, at Children's. I kept thinking that it was going to be a tumor. The thought of Kate having a tumor made me so sick to my stomach. Even the thought of her lying on the MRI table made me so sad.

Well, today was the day. We had our appointment at 2 in Boston. Kate was awesome during the appointment! She happily did everything the doctor asked her to do and was such a happy little girl :)

They told us that it seems like she has Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome. It seems to fit her symptoms pretty well. They do want to give her a metabolic blood test when she goes in for her 2 year well child visit, when she has to get her bloodwork done anyway.

If any of her symptoms get worse however, it could be something more serious. So, for now, we just watch her and see how she does. We did get a perscription for her, to hopefully help with the vomiting. Kate has a follow up appointment at Children's in March.


So, for now we have some answers, nothing concrete, but something. Thank you to all that were praying for Kate! Keep praying that none of her symptoms get worse and that her blood test comes back negative.



new Laurenpost divider image

2 comments:

Mama B said...

Oh man, that is so scary! I would be sick to my stomach to if anything like that happened to Emmaline. I'm so glad that they figured it out and that she doesn't have a tumor :)

Kerry McCullough said...

Oh my gosh, that is so horrible that poor Kate (and your family) is going through that. I will definitely keep her in my prayers.